Re: E.T. update

While it's sad about Buster, some times you have to do what you have to do. I'm sorry you had to be put in that position.

ET was definitely aggressive towards Dreyfuss, attacking him from behind with a mighty swipe of claws. The first time he got Dreyfuss it was from the front, but Dreyfuss was walking past him, and he probably felt threatened. We're so used to other animals ignoring or loving Dreyfuss that it didn't occur to us to be wary. He's also been aggressive towards the other cats, though today, he just lounged on the deck near the screened porch. I have hopes.

We got ET into the house the evening of April 29th, and had him neutered, etc. on April 30th.

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, June 08, 2008 5:19 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] E.T. update

Most likely, as hormone levels subside and with longer familiarity, I bet ET will eventually fit in.. Dreyfuss may never completely trust him, but will learn to live with it without being terrified. In fact ET's aggressiveness, may include, to his mind playfulness and he can't see why Dreyfuss doesn't "play" along. As time goes on, he'll learn to tone it down.

Buster's situation was similar, not actually the same. He had been around here for several months. I don't recall if I had had the chance to nueter him, but I don't think I did. He was an adult cat - I'd guess 3 or 4 yrs old, judging by the hefty amount of scar tissue around his jaw line. If he were just attacking the cats, I would work on it, but he attacked me. I was scared of him. You couldn't tell from one minute to the next what he would do. The vet alluded to disease that affects the brain and behavior this way, though I don't recall specifics. His advice was to put him down since there were just too many problems including the fact that I'm single, away from home all day, unable to monitor things and the fact that I do not have unlimited funds to follow this through. Combine that with the possible endangerment of my cats and other neighbor cats, I had to agree. It was a shame because at times he was quite sweet. I don't take putting an animal down lightly, or use it as a matter of convenience, but sometimes, there just are no viable alternatives.

One other thing, you wrote
We've had E.T. for more than a month
I thought you'd been writing about him here for much longer than that - haven't you?

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
----- Original Message ----- From: "DP" <pulis@mindspring.com>