Re: Donna and tornadoes

I now have power and finally connected to the internet at home as well....

Mothers pond was overpopulated. I have been telling her for years we
have to give some away. Unfortunately, I could never catch them, other
than one or two every now and again.

Well the tornado killed off the ecosystem of the pond. It turned the
water rapidly both with overflowing and bringing the bottom
water/muck/whatever up. It also dumped a lot of dirt and what have you
in it. It was in the 90's and after the storm, even I couldn't breathe
out there as they air was so thick. With no power, I couldn't airate nor
filter the water. So by morning on Sunday most were dead and others
where gasping for breathe. Of course the dead fish were expelling amonia
and making it worse.

Now that the pumps are back on, I can see in my pond and they even came
up to eat, but by count, 2 are missing! After taking 4 huge garbage bags
of dead fish out of mothers pond, it is still too merky to tell if
anyone survived or not. Maybe in the morning I will be able to see
better. I will do another water change when I get home which will help
too. Depending on whether I see life or not, I might drain the pond over
the weekend, which will also give me a chance to get rid of some of the
plants. ( she has too many of them too).

I had a microburst here a few years ago..... the same thing happened
then too, but the power came back on in a short time and I was able to
save most of the fish.

  Donna

Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net> wrote:
  Glad you're ok. How did you lose the fish?
Kitty
neIN, Zone 5