Re: Donna and tornadoes/OKLA storms

My husband has accepted a temp position that will be bringing us to Hannibal, Missouri by next week for a few days. Then on to Taylorville, Ill for the next 6 months. Any advice on what to avoid? We will go by way of Bella Vista, Arkansas to visit my daughter and our son at Camp War Eagle in Rogers, Arkansas. I remember sand bagging when we lived in Cape Girardeau,Missouri. Cape wasn't in any danger but the little surrounding towns were. I will never forget how strange it was to see this wall of sandbags and so much water on the other side. Stay safe!
----- Original Message ----- From: "cathy carpenter" <cathycrc@comcast.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, June 15, 2008 6:01 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Donna and tornadoes/OKLA storms

Yep! We have started sandbagging operations to shore up the levees on our stretch of the Mississippi. Quincy is on a bluff, so the town is not threatened, but the water treatment facility is. One of our two bridges is closed because of water on the Missouri side, but the other is useable as is the new bridge to Hannibal, MO. River is supposed to crest on Thursday at or above 1993 levels. Just hope our levees hold this time. No rain predicted for the next several days, but the humidity is awful, and I'm behind on weeding already. Am trying to catch up on mail after having daughter, son in law, and two grandsons visiting for a week. Nice to see them, but also to be getting back to normal!
cathy carpenter
west central IL, z5b