First Zucchini!

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: First Zucchini!
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 16:16:01 -0700

I picked my first zucchinis this weekend.  Ah, these few glorious days
when there are just enough zucchini!  Soon I'll be tiptoeing around
work, leaving them in break rooms and dropping bags on people's desks.

I pulled out the dead pea plants and rearranged the hose to give more
water for the cucumbers I had in that same bed. We'll see how they do,
that "leaky hose" is pretty old and isn't leaking very well. I might
have to buy a new one.  I weeded the bed with the chile peppers, they're
looking pretty good although I am not positive I still have the habanero
plants, seems like there are more gaps than I remember.  Tomato plants
have little tomatoes on them, and the beans are flowering - hopefully it
won't get too hot before we get some beans.  I have volunteer basil in
the bean patch too, first time I've ever gotten volunteer basil.  The
volunteer herbs make me happy, I have cilantro, dill and now basil just
popping up in spots.
In the dry garden, the native salvia is hitting its peak, desert willow
and silk trees are covered in blossom but everything else is fading
fast. I think I should shear back the salvia greggii, there's lots of
twiggy stuff on it and not that many flowers.
We won't talk about the rest of the front yard. :-(
I still haven't called anyone about our bees...they're not really
bothering anything (yet) so it's easy to forget. Where we take our
riding lesson they have a wild hive too, I mentioned it and the guy said
he did try calling and no one wants them - they are afraid of the
African bees. When we went cherry-picking the grower was complaining
very loudly about the cost of renting bees but when I told him he could
have mine free you'd have thought I was offering the plague. I was
watching a PBS show on the disappearing bees last night and with all
this trouble it's hard to believe I won't be able to find anyone who
wants my non-aggressive wild bees.  I gotta make the calls first, unless
I hear it firsthand I don't know for sure.