From: Donna <gossiper@sbcglobal.net>
To:
gardenchat@hort.net
Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 6:18:35 AM
Subject: Re:
[CHAT] First Zucchini!

Feel free to drop a bag of zucchinis on my desk
anytime!

  LOL!  too bad you don't live close.

  Donna

"Johnson,
Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil> wrote:
picked my first zucchinis this weekend. Ah, these few glorious days
when there
are just enough zucchini! Soon I'll be tiptoeing around
work, leaving them in
break rooms and dropping bags on people's desks.

I pulled out the dead pea
plants and rearranged the hose to give more
water for the cucumbers I had in
that same bed. We'll see how they do,
that "leaky hose" is pretty old and
isn't leaking very well. I might
have to buy a new one. I weeded the bed with
the chile peppers, they're
looking pretty good although I am not positive I
still have the habanero
plants, seems like there are more gaps than I
remember. Tomato plants
have little tomatoes on them, and the beans are
flowering - hopefully it
won't get too hot before we get some beans. I have
volunteer basil in
the bean patch too, first time I've ever gotten volunteer
basil. The
volunteer herbs make me happy, I have cilantro, dill and now basil
just
popping up in spots.
In the dry garden, the native salvia is hitting its
peak, desert willow
and silk trees are covered in blossom but everything else
is fading
fast. I think I should shear back the salvia greggii, there's lots
of
twiggy stuff on it and not that many flowers.
We won't talk about the rest
of the front yard. :-(
I still haven't called anyone about our bees...they're
not really
bothering anything (yet) so it's easy to forget. Where we take our
riding lesson they have a wild hive too, I mentioned it and the guy said
he
did try calling and no one wants them - they are afraid of the
African bees.
When we went cherry-picking the grower was complaining
very loudly about the
cost of renting bees but when I told him he could
have mine free you'd have
thought I was offering the plague. I was
watching a PBS show on the
disappearing bees last night and with all
this trouble it's hard to believe I
won't be able to find anyone who
wants my non-aggressive wild bees. I gotta
make the calls first, unless
I hear it firsthand I don't know for sure.

Cyndi