From: cathy carpenter
<cathycrc@comcast.net>
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Sent: Monday, June 23, 2008
7:22:30 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] home : )

Not at all. Hannibal put in a new
bridge after the last flood, and has
an excellent floodwall protecting its
historic downtown. Come visit
while you are here... or I could visit you.
cathy carpenter
west central IL, z5b

On Jun 23, 2008, at 5:16 PM, Patricia
wrote:

> Cathy,
> I really hate to hear about more flooding.  We drove into
> Springfield, Ill late last night and my DH has to go to a meeting
> that
he will have to cross the mighty Mississippi at Hannibal
> tomorrow
morning.  Do you think he will have any trouble?
<cathycrc@comcast.net

22, 2008 12:34 PM
> Subject: Re: [CHAT] home : )
>

>> Flood just crested
here. Will take several weeks to subside.
>> Hannibal  has massive flood
gates that protect their "historic
>> downtown", but  all of us with towns
and homes on the river will
>> face massive cleanup  this summer.
Fortunately, the IL side of the
>> Mississippi has bluffs,  which puts our
town 100+ ft over the
>> river. As folks around here say,  if Quincy floods,
we are all
>> building arks. That said, the people of  Quincy filled one
million
>> sandbags to reinforce levees to help out  their neighbors up and
>> down the river, and folks who weren't filling  helped to feed and

house those that were or were displaced by the  floods. People are
>> really
good at heart!

21, 2008, at 10:18 PM, Patricia wrote:

>>> Theresa,
>>> I am glad that you
made it back.  How is your family?
>>> I just have to tell you all that I am
in Bella Vista, Arkansas
>>> visiting my daughter, son in law and our son.
I love this
>>> area...  so beautiful. 80's for temperature, no wind, no
bugs...
>>> wonderful  lakes, golf courses and quiet living. I think I want
>>> retire  here... except the soil is pretty rocky. It would be a

whole new  ball game to garden in.
>>> Tomorrow we go to Springfield, Ill.

Cathy,
>>> I saw where Hannibal is flooding.  How are you doing?  Is the

flooding getting any better?
"Theresa G." <macycat3@sbcglobal.net

Sent: Saturday, June 21, 2008 2:08 PM
>>> Subject: [CHAT] home : )

staying inside this afternoon.  Sooooo happy I got the AC fixed
before I went  to TX.