Re: Joints (was RE: rough month)

  • Subject: Re: Joints (was RE: rough month)
  • From: "Daryl" <dp2413@comcast.net>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 14:18:17 -0400

Glucosamine pills didn't work for me, either, nor for my dog, Annie. An injectable form worked quite well for her for a couple of years. (This was a sub-cu, not into the joint injection. ) The vet said that some studies had shown that the glucosamine tabs were mostly broken down in the gut so didn't get to the joint, but that the injectable form bypassed that.

I hear you about the stairs. I not only squeak, but sound like Rice Krispies.

If you're having pain, ask your doctor about the Synvisc or Supartz. Neither are related to glucosamine. My doctor prefers the Supartz - says it has a better carrier, if I remember correctly. I've also been told that if you use it before your knees get as bad as mine that there are better results because it helps to prevent more damage by cushioning it.

I had to give up hiking in my 40's. I remember getting off the plane after some day-hiking in the Tetons, and my knees were so bad that I not only couldn't stand the extra weight of my camera bag, I had to support myself on each seatback as I walked by. I got to the terminal and needed wheeled help.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>