From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Maria
Sent: Sunday, June 07, 2009 12:39 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Nursery Home Page

Hello Gene,

I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you; I was poking around to
locate a couple of examples of the sort of opaque splash pages I meant.
I have seen a few fashion design pages like that recently but couldn't
recall a single one. So http://www.burberry.com/ is the best example I
could come up with. The front page takes a long time, even on
broadband, to load a full-screen image and presents no immediately
useful links, just a choice of markets and languages. The subsequent
page isn't much better.

Today I clicked on http://www.bbg.org/ and was impressed by the
economy, clarity and usefulness of every piece of information on the
home page. Two current exhibits are highlighted with images compact
enough to load quickly, and the other text links have descriptive
subtitles that make them easy to navigate. Address and phone
information is at the bottom of every page, as yours is. No gimmicks or
gratuitous animations are wanted or needed.

The latest thing seems to be pages with a lot of dissolving images and
other things simultaneously in motion. Your current home page is a
model of restraint. By the way, my impulse is to click on the exquisite
image mid-page and find out what plant it is. I think if you have a
picture in the body of your page, it should pay off for the viewer.

Maria

> Hello Maria,
> 	Can you give me a couple of examples that illustrate your
> preferences for web home pages?
> 	I know that I have personal preferences when surfing, but to be
> honest I am not "bothered" to any great extent by differing web sites.
> If I
> want to order I figure it out and order. So, since my web site is not
> about
> me and my preferences, it is for the customer and their use, I am very
> interested in your opinions.

>>> contents. Wants to jump right in...lots of stuff up front. I feel