OT- Half Moon on the Hudson

  • Subject: OT- Half Moon on the Hudson
  • From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 18:36:02 EDT

This year is the 400th anniversary of Hendrik Hudson's trip up the
Hudson river, and today a replica of the Half Moon made a slow
progression up the Hudson with celebrations at each river port.
Because of our Constitution Island connections, we were included
in the group allowed to drive onto the Island this afternoon to watch
the flotilla of boats from there.  (Automobile access to the Island is
along a single-lane track beside the Metro-North railroad tracks, and
is rarely granted to civilians.)
We got there around 3:00 PM.  The flotilla was expected around 3:30
since it was scheduled to arrive at Newburg for a big ceremony at 5:00,
and it's more than an hour's sail up the river under good conditions.
The afternoon started out to be sunny and mild, but became quite
overcast and humid and around 80 degrees.  To make a long story
shorter, the Half Moon rounded the bend at West Point at 5:15.  I
guess the river filled with boats was impressive, but by that time I
was too tired of waiting to appreciate it. The Half Moon was a grimy-
looking brown, and quite small.  It's supposed to be an exact replica,
and I know I wouldn't have wanted to cross the Atlantic in any of the
sailing vessels of the period.  I tried to take pictures, but by that time
it had become so hazy, and the light was all wrong, so I doubt that
any came out.
Constitution Island should have been the ideal place to watch, and
for the first hour or so I loved being there.  I volunteered in the garden
for nearly 20 years, and always loved the place.  After that, though
I kept thinking of all I could be doing in my own garden.  Still, it
was an event.