Re: questions

  • Subject: Re: questions
  • From: "Judy Browning" <judylee@lewiston.com>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 19:56:40 -0700

Depends on what you want the alpine strawberries for. I agree with Jim, it would be hard to grow enough of these to harvest to sell. They're tiny! They are softer than commercial berries and would not ship well. They are wonderful to eat out of hand in the garden. I think they make lovely border plants. Mine seed around & I've found the most effective way to 'plant' them is to mash a berry around in my mouth, then spit the seeds where I want some new plants.
The flavor is more intense than most "big" strawberries.
What can be more natural than open pollination? Ma Nature does it all the time. I have some ground cover strawberries that self seeded & now produce berries in my flowerbed that the grandkids look for first thing. I think they're sweet, but otherwise blah. The kids love them.
It's easy to dig out any plants that produce berries you don't like.
Maybe relocate the alpines to your flower borders if they're the ones you don't want. Or put the quinaults elsewhere if you want to keep the alpines in the garden. As far as crosspollinating, just pick all the berries produced while they're in close proximity. It won't affect any berries produced after they're secluded.
Judy B z 6 Idaho,
lovely weather here 80s daytime & 68 at night
----- Original Message ----- From: "kathy" <akkath@horizonsatellite.com>