Crazy season

What a weird season we've been having.  Three separate spells
of 90 degree heat, starting in April, the first two followed by frosts,
and the latest by a cooler spell.  Despite a lot of cloudy and
overcast days, we haven't had nearly enough rain.  It's very dry
here, and this afternoon is just another example of the craziness.
Within the past hour we have had a heavy thunder storm with pelting
rain for perhaps ten minutes.  Now the sun is shining brightly again
and the sky is blue.
Everything has bloomed out of its usual pattern.  I have a flowershow
coming up this weekend, and had counted on having peonies both as
horticulture exhibits, and as material for a mass arrangement I have
signed up for.  Well, my peonies began to bloom nearly three weeks
ago, and are just about past.  Today's brief rainstorm probably took
the last of them.  Don't know what we'll have for the flower show - all
my members are having the same complaint.
Many things have been more than usually floriferous.  In my garden I
enjoy several wild plants that most people call weeds.  I have had great
displays of Dame's Rocket, and masses of the native Columbine
(Aquilegia canadensis).  Just now the milkweeds are making a handsome
border beside the big boulder.  Most people consider them weeds, but I
love them.
One observation - though almost everything else has bloomed splendidly, if
out of it's usual pattern, the native dogwood, Cornus florida, bloomed very
poorly.  Not just mine, but throughout the woods, and others are also
complaining.  However,  coming along a couple of weeks later, the Kousa
dogwoods are as splendid as I can ever remember.  Does that mean our
climate has become more like Korea?
Hope everyone had a healthy and happy Memorial Day weekend.