RE: Crazy season
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: RE: Crazy season
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 15:24:18 -0700

I wonder if the whole year will be unsettled? Hopefully you will get
some rain. I think we are finally going into summer here. It is in the
80s now, we had some overcast that is mostly gone, and still windier
than usual. Everyone is complaining about the wind.
We spent Memorial Day weekend doing our volunteer stint in the mountains
with the horses. It is still cold enough at 7500' feet to have snow here
and there; we spent almost a whole day with axes, shovels and saws
clearing snow, ice and avalanche debris off a 6 foot section of trail so
the horses could get through. We couldn't do anything about the
multi-ton boulder but there's still room to pass. I am so grateful to
the trail crews that spent the last three weekends on the other hundred
yards of trail, the damage was truly awe-inspiring. Glad I wasn't there
when the avalanche happened!
In my vegetable garden I think I picked the last of the peas last night,
I don't see any flowers left. I'm still picking lettuce and spinach but
it will be quite some time before we have anything else, even the
zucchini plants are still fairly small. But all is growing nicely just
need to keep the gophers away. The coreopsis and gaillardia burst into
bloom while we were away, very cheerful to see. My Chrysler Imperial
rose has finally decided to live, it is growing well and blooming
heavily at the moment. Almost all the wildflowers are gone to seed
although I have a few nice displays in the dry garden.
Our local u-pick cherry orchards claim they will be opening in two
weeks. I'm eager to make preserves this year; I didn't put up a single
jar of anything last year and I really missed it. I may start with rose
jelly this coming weekend if I still have enough roses.

Cyndi