Re: conditions
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: conditions
  • From: james singer <inlandjim1@q.com>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 09:07:33 -0700

What kind of clover is it? White, red, burr? Does it spread by seed or underground stem?

On Jun 6, 2010, at 8:32 AM, Pam Evans wrote:

can you weed eat a path through it until conditions are right for spraying?

It's either Mama Bear or Papa Bear around here; never seems to be Baby
Bear's turn.

I don't mind clover in a lawn and don't bother doing anything about it until it reaches threatening levels. If it looks like it's going to take over and destroy the lawn, a little weed b gone does the trick, though with clover it usually takes 2 apps. I've had a patch in the back yard slowly spreading the past few years and I knew I'd have to do something this year. This spring, it suddenly pulled out all the stops and grew with a vengence. Instead of hugging the ground, it was leaping a foot high (only a slight exaggeration) with leaves 5 x (no exaggeration) the normal size. It's
time.  It's been time for months now.

This area is in a direct line of travel from the backyard to the front. In April I'm traipsing thru there too much to be spraying it. In May, it rained (can't spray if it will rain the next day) until toward the end of the month when it suddenly turned 90 degrees (can't spray over 85) The heat came down again, but only because it rained again. But now it's in the 70s and the rain is past us, so I can spray - except that it is so windy, I don't dare. With all the moisture it just keeps growing so I have to mow, knowing I'd rather have it longish to grab more herbicide. It's June now and I've read that it's going to be a hot summer. How soon will the 90s
return?

So what would you do? This is a tough area to maneuver around, but I can
do it.  It's just the damned "conditions".

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5

--
Pam Evans