Re: swamp milkweed
  • Subject: Re: swamp milkweed
  • From: "Christopher P. Lindsey" <lindsey@mallorn.com>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 09:57:19 -0500

> Get rid of it?  Don't they realize its value?
> "Flowers are a nectar source for many butterflies and leaves are a food
> source for monarch butterfly larvae"
> I have A incarnata and A. tuberosa.  I'd like to have a few A syriaca about
> too.

I love swamp milkweed!  They smell so sweet, too.

Still, mine never seem to stay where I plant them and end up seeding
in places where I don't them.  Bad Asclepias!  Bad Asclepias!

Speaking of butterflies, I miss my gas plant.  I love the fragrance and
the strong, dark green leaves, but one year I saw black swallowtail
caterpillars crawling all over and munching away.  I identified them,
decided black swallowtails were cool, and left them.

Two days later the plant was nothing but a stalk.  :)  It never recovered.

Still, it's nice to see black swallowtails flitting through the yard,
and I get a little nostalgic thinking of the ones that I helped 'nurse'.