Re: swamp milkweed
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: swamp milkweed
  • From: "Kitty" <kmrsy@comcast.net>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 18:58:56 -0500

I think Auralie's is syriaca (Common Milweed) and the color is pink, mauve, or white. Mine is incarnata, colors are the same. I got mine bareroot last year (Cinderella cultivar) so I don't know how quickly they'll grow. Bloom time is July August. Asyriaca bloom is June-August. A tuberosa (orange, but there is a yellow cultivar) blooms June-August.

I didn't know that A tuberosa would bloom the first year from seed. I got mine as a dormant potted plant last year. It had some bloom by August. But this year - wow - it filled out quickly and started blooming probably the first of June. A incarnata has buds now but I know it blooms later than the others.

Yes, Andrea, I'm pretty sure I sent them to you. Keep me posted on their progress - I find this interesting. I doubt my seedlings will bloom as they are just dropped seed -too many, too thick, too much competition. I'm hoping though that if I pot up some, that they'll thrive.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
----- Original Message ----- From: "andreah" <andreah@hargray.com>

I should have some of the orange seeds too. I can't ever remember the
species name. So the orange is tuberosa and the pink is incarnata?
Kitty-didn't you send me some? Someone DID!  It's the pink and white yes?
All of mine germinated, and are noticeably slower growing than the orange,
which I planted at the same time. The orange is already blooming so I hope
yours blooms this summer too. I literally just planted the seeds this
spring. So, keep your fingers crossed-hopefully soon!!!!!!