Too many critters
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Too many critters
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 15:23:26 -0700

The wet winter gave rise to much food for the critters, and now that
it's dry they are all migrating into my vegetable garden. I went out
yesterday evening and two rabbits plus a ground squirrel went running
off. And the squirrel was inside the chicken wire fence I put around the
greens! Argh. DH has been going out with his pellet gun but they are
getting wise to him now. We have a live trap too, and we've caught one
squirrel. I hate to use poison bait but everyone says it is really the
most effective method. After those ravens killed the two hens I am not
so concerned anymore about them getting hold of a carcass but, well, I
don't like it much.  Thought about resurrecting the electrocution setup
but we never really did see concrete results from that and it's a pain
to do.
They don't seem to like peppers but I've seen a bite taken out of a
green tomato, and the occasional bite out of the squash. They are doing
much more damage to my melon and cucumber plants, which got kind of a
late start due to the cold weather and are now getting their growing
tips gnawed off.
And my useless dogs...you'd think a Lab and a Rottweiler would at least
keep them at bay...I don't let the dogs in the vegetable garden because
they'd destroy it in seconds but I thought at least they could keep the
critters out of the back lawn! They are out there all day and there is a
squirrel hole right amongst the tree roots. Sheesh.
Oh well, we will keep after them and see how it goes. At least I haven't
seen any new gopher holes for a few weeks.

Cyndi