Stokesia question
  • Subject: Stokesia question
  • From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 15:15:45 EDT

I returned from a New York State Garden Club Board meeting and
Symposium last week to find my computer had collapsed.  Since
I  had all the preparations to make for the Horticulture School that
will be held starting tomorrow, I was in real crisis mode.  I had to
prepare the outlines to go into the students' folders - six speakers -
plus various other pages that had to be included, and also compile
the exam to be given to those taking the course for credit.  By
dint of using Chet's old cranky computer I have managed to get most
of it done.  The computer, surprisingly, was still on warranty.  Usually
things break for me the month after the warranty expires.  Dell sent
a new motherboard and an installer who put it in and left as quickly
as he could get out of the house.  Of course, things weren't right,
and I had to have another tech come and get things moving again.
It's still not totally right - gives me a message saying BIOS not installed
but the tech says that if it is running it must have a BIOS, so don't
worry.  But I do.
Anyway, to my question.  One of our speakers will give us "Perennials
for Specific Sites and Uses."  One feature of our day is always a session
of point-scoring practice, followed by a point-scoring exam for the students
taking the course for credit.  Since this isn't the best season for
I was looking for three good specimens to use for this purpose. Most of
my perennials are well past, or not yet in bloom. What I do have are several
very nice blooms of the Stokesia that was sent me by Bluestone with my
spring order.  It was supposedly a trial cultivar.  I can find the
identifying labels
of everything else that came in the Bluestone order, but cannot find this
I don't pretend to be a good housekeeper, but I can usually find anything
related to my plants.  Of course this one is not in the catalog, since it
just a trial.  It is cream-colored, which is quite unlike any Stokesia I
have ever
seen before.  The blooms are not large - about 1 1/2 inches across - but
full. Do any of you knowledgeable people have any information on this plant?
It's good to be back to the computer, even though I am still swamped with
work.  In addition to the Hort. School, I have a big indexing job waiting on
the desk that I haven't even had time to open - and it has a deadline of the