Re: Gardens & Gardening
  • Subject: Re: Gardens & Gardening
  • From: Catharine Carpenter <cathycrc@comcast.net>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 12:29:57 -0500

We went from cooler than usual to hotter than usual, which wreaked havoc with my vegetable garden, and I have gotten to the point that when the temperatures are in the nineties and the heat index above 100, I do not work outside (I wish the weeds had the same policy!!) Also, the rain really messed up my planting schedule, both for seeds and potted plants. The result is that I will attempt to get my cucumbers in tomorrow as well as my lovely variegated pagoda dogwood. The weather people are saying that there will be no rain this week, and the humidity will be tolerable, so I hope to get a lot done. I realize that not too many on the list are vegetable gardeners, but I need a little advice. For the past two years, I have planted edamame (soybeans) and after they sprout and grow about 5 - 6 inches high, the tops get chewed off. I thought it might be rabbits, but my green beans are just fine. My spinach and lettuce and snow peas were also untouched. The garden is fenced against deer, and there have been no tracks of any sort. Could it be some form of insect (I have seen nothing, though...) Am frustrated, as I love edamame.
Cathy, west central IL, z5b