exposure for cuttings
  • Subject: exposure for cuttings
  • From: "Kitty" <kmrsy@comcast.net>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 08:53:35 -0500

Ever since someone on this list (I think it was Cathy) said they started their cuttings ina clear storage box, I've been doing the same with mostly good success. I placed the box between the west side of the house and a cherry tree so it got filtered sunlight, maybe a direct hit for a short while.

Last year the tree died and I took it down. It seems to me that w/out the tree's protection the cuttings would heat up too much if I put the box in the same place with a western exposure - too much direct sun. So I put them on my front porch, eastern exposure but, for the most part filtered by a dogwood tree. I don't think this looks to be enough sunlight.

So just how much light do cuttings in a box need? These are of shrubs - Viburnum, Lilac, Magnolia. Would the north side be better? Any suggestions?

neIN, Zone 5