Re: Those motion-detector sprayers
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: Those motion-detector sprayers
  • From: Cersgarden@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 19:20:36 -0400 (EDT)

Cyndi, I use the scarecrow in warm weather for the deer and I only set it
for overnight protection.   They are very sensitive, a bird or any movement
will set it off.   Also, you need to move it about, at least for deer, or it
becomes ineffective. When you have deer you become less concerned with
rabbits.   The negative is it is connected to running water. I didn't get the
connector in just right one time and we woke up to a flooded back yard however
it beats anything I have used so far.   It would be desirable to have more
than one.   The price has come down on these.
     I do use green plastic fencing to keep the rabbits from my lilys.
The roll comes in approx 6' height.   We cut it in half and then make
cylinders to fit each clump of lilies.   My plants are planted very dense and I have
hundreds of cylinders but the fencing just seems to disappear.   I leave
them in the garden all year round however the deer make a mess of them in the
winter.   My vegetable gardens are completely fenced so rabbits can not get
in. We ran a heavy wire at about 4' height to discourage the deer.
     Ceres