It's really summer now
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: It's really summer now
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 07:28:12 -0700

We're getting to the time of year when, after being left in the car all
day, my travel mug of coffee is hotter at the end of the day than it is
when I pour it. But this is just normal heat, nothing much to remark
about.
I spent the weekend fortifying the fence around the entire garden area,
hacking out the rabbitbrush that had grown up near the fence, crawling
under the junipers to get at the corners, and pretty much ruining my
hands manipulating chicken wire and making little wire twist ties. I
think it is all barricaded now and if we see rabbits at least the holes
they use will be fewer.
It doesn't look like I'll be getting a bumper crop of green beans thanks
to the rabbits, gophers, and having to plant late. Last year was pretty
good though and we still have jars in the pantry, so we'll eat a lot of
fresh this summer. Making dilly beans is less time-consuming than
pressure-canning so I might make a lot of those this summer.
All in all the veggie garden is looking decent and I've been able to
spend a bit more time in the front too. Having the gardener do the
mowing and some weeding sure helps. But there's always something to be
done. Recently I noticed my lab is digging a largish hole in the back
lawn so he has a nice cool spot to lie in. Sigh...time to go buy him
another wading pool I guess.
Blooming now are roses, salvias, buckwheat, Shasta daisies, daylilies,
acanthus, lavender, coreopsis, gaillardia, and pelargoniums.

Cyndi