Re: It's really summer now
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: It's really summer now
  • From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 09:50:40 -0400 (EDT)

It would be good to hear that someone's garden was prospering.  The
up-and-down crazy weather here seems to have pleased some things
but not all.  We had record heat in late May, followed by a very cool
spell, and then another record-breaking hot two days again followed
by an overcast week in the 60s. The peas I planted were just coming
into bloom when the first hot spell hit - that was about the end of them.
The early mustard greens were just about ready to pick, but when the
hot days came they shot up into bloom.

The rest of my garden has been a disaster for another reason.  Early
on, Chet, bless his pointed head, declared that since my back is not
too good any more I should have raised beds in the vegetable garden.
He went down and laid out three beds, taking up more than half the
available space, and leaving only about 3-foot paths between.  He said
I could plant in the spaces he left, but not where the beds were to go.
I put in half a dozen tomatoes and some onions in the spaces, but
felt that anything else planted there would be trampled when the beds
appeared. I was assuming then that they would finally appear.  I put
one short row of beans in what was usually the lettuce bed, but held
off on the others.  Well, yesterday he had a person come to look at
the prospect of putting in the beds.  This person suggested that if we
added on certain clamps that covers could be provided that might give
an extra 10 days or two weeks in the fall, and might allow me to have
a crop of something this summer.  Well, at my age I can't really count
on another summer, but declined that extra.  The whole project was
never my idea in the first place.  At least I have been so busy with
other projects this spring that I haven't let myself be too frustrated.
APL

In a message dated 6/28/2011 11:45:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,