Re: It's really summer now
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: It's really summer now
  • From: "Christopher P. Lindsey" <lindsey@mallorn.com>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 10:18:34 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
> It would be good to hear that someone's garden was prospering.  The
> up-and-down crazy weather here seems to have pleased some things
> but not all.  We had record heat in late May, followed by a very cool
> spell, and then another record-breaking hot two days again followed
> by an overcast week in the 60s. The peas I planted were just coming
> into bloom when the first hot spell hit - that was about the end of
> them.

Our rooftop garden here in East Central Illinois is doing phenomenally.

We've been eating romaine, butter, red leaf, and head lettuce daily
with a side of arugula, and the green beans have been going for a
week.

Roma and olive tomatoes are about an inch long, the cherry tomatoes
are the size of a dime, and the Fourth of July tomatoes might actually
make it by the fourth!

Yellow and patty pan squash are also doing great, and we should have
some ready to eat next week as well.  We'll probably be able to toss
in a few Bambino eggplants, too!

The cucumbers are doing horribly and the peppers are just kind of
sitting there, but I think they'll take off when the temperatures
go up again.

You can see the writeup about the hanging garden at

   http://www.hort.net/articles/

I'll try to put up some pictures of the garden now!

Things that still need to be done include:

   1.  Fixing the automatic irrigation -- it broke and I have to flip
       the switch by hand

   2.  Setting out bubblers around the stuff planted upright

   3.  Planting the basil and parsley that's still in a pot

   4.  Plant some new tubs of lettuce to rotate out when the old
       ones bolt

We've really enjoyed the lettuce in giant Rubbermaid tubs.  We can
plant out a 4-pack from the store and it will fill the entire tub
within a month.  We start new lettuce from seed somewhere else,
the move it into the 'production' garden to replace things that
have stopped producing.

Chris