Re: Cicadas
gardenchat@hort.net

We have had them here but on a different cycle. Ours came in 2005.

ETN Zone 7

From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2013 4:51:09 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Cicadas

We have been told so much about the advent of the 17-year cicadas that
it is a bit of a disappointment not to have them here. At a State Garden
Club meeting in Albany last week I heard from people across the state
that their occurrence is remarkable, but now I have had confirmation from
the local Master Gardeners that they are not in Westchester County,
though there are plenty of them just across the Hudson in Rockland.

They put the blame on site destruction by bulldozers for new construction
and pesticide use by lawn-care companies. However, neither of those
conditions exist on our hillside. There has been no new construction up
here in probably 50 years - we have been here for 43 - and we have never
used pesticides on our so-called lawn. I don't know about the neighbors,
but no one has green lawns up here and few lawn-care companies come
up. The guy who does our plowing also does mowing in the summer, but
nobody up here is big on pesticides.

I'm wondering if our use of milky-spore disease to control Japanese beetles
many years ago is responsible. We used it, with good success, at least
30 years ago. It has not been available for quite a long time, but we
still
don't have a problem with Japanese beetles. Since they come from a grub
in the soil, and that's where the milky-spore was effective - we just put
it
on the ground in the early spring - and it was supposed to spread - I
wonder
if it could also have infected the cicada grubs. Any opinions?

Auralie