Re: Question re: Astilbe

Donna, while some listers seem able to overwinter perennials in pots
with no protection, IMO, it's best to give them some.  Roots were
designed to live in the earth, which is always warmer than the
outside air, even if the top is frozen.  When living in pots, even
big pots, they do not have this sort of protection.  Roots do not
have the ability to create the kind of anti-freeze that branches and
buds do and if they get too cold, the liquid in their cells freezes,
expands and ruptures the cell walls.  If this happens, the cells dry
and die and the plant dies or suffers a good deal of injury that
takes a lot of its energy to overcome once growing season starts
again.

I have also read that you should select plants hardy at least two
zones colder than yours if they are to live in pots year around
outside...

There are lots of ways to overwinter plants in pots - Gene gave one
and back in '98, I wrote a two part article about ways to do it, so I
won't repeat all of them here....

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/shade_gardening/12377 - first
part
http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/shade_gardening/12667 - second
part

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

> From: Donna  <justme@prairieinet.net>

> To those using perennials in containers.... how are you
overwintering