An Amaryllis tale

I usually have a few Amaryllis bulbs in the house in the Winter, and
sometimes I have good luck getting them to bloom a second year, sometimes
not. But this year I got one as a Christmas present that simply blew me away.
It came preplanted in a simple plastic pot and I don't know the variety name
(it was a white one brushed with bright red) but what was so amazing to me is
that the flower stalk (and there was just one) had EIGHT flowers on it
instead of the usual four! What a sight that was! Has anyone ever seen this
happen before, and does anyone know if it will bloom the same way if I can
get it to bloom again next year, or will it go back to the usual 4 flowers?
It also took a lot longer to bloom than the others on the same windowsill. In
fact, it is just finishing now.

"I heard a bird sing in the dark of December;
we're closer to Spring than we were in September!" (I forgot who wrote that;
anyone know?)

Maddy Mason
Hudson Valley, NY zone 5/6 (probably zone 1 THIS Winter! LOL!)