Re: link to bug, need id please

Donna, this link shows a couple of nice fat aphids and what looks
like a shed skin or two.  The other pix you posted links to looked
like white fly to me.  You could have both.  I would suggest hosing
down your largest plants; some yellow sticky traps for the white fly
and giving your larger plants a spray with some Safer's Insecticidal
soap for the aphids, keeping in mind that you have to actually hit
the insect with it; it is a contact insecticide with no residual
properties.  You also have to repeat this treatment regularly as it
won't kill the eggs.

Both are a bitch in a greenhouse environment.  White fly is worse
IMO, but aphids drive me nuts.  Be *very* careful using anything on
small seedlings...as someone on one of the lists said, test something
first.   Safer's label lists plants it should *not* be used on. Hort.
oil is probably also effective, but I would not use it around tender
foliage - I had a very bad experience with it last year; almost lost
a whole slew of baby hellebores.

Jim said the botanicals don't work - well, in a greenhouse
environment, they might.  I don't know as my g.h. is open to my
garage and house and I have not tried any because I just know they'd
end up all over the house:-)  If I had a g.h. that was totally
enclosed, I would try lacewings or one of the others.

Handpicking is an option but most tedious, especially with a lot of
plants.

Vacuuming up whitefly adults is an option that you might consider,
too, at least for starters to make a big dent in the population right
off the bat.

How's the humidity in the greenhouse?  If it's under 50%, upping it
will help discourage bugs and keep the fans going.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :