RE: weather rant now: flooding

Donna,
I was having a tough time understanding this thread until I realized that
you and Ceres  were talking vegetables.

Regarding ornamentals, I enjoy getting my new ones early as I am often
getting little 2 inch starts.  I pot them up and put outside so they can
get a head start.  The warm sun on   the black plastic warms the potted
soil and gets them going much better than than the cold soil of the ground.
By the time I put them in the ground in May they've put out new roots that
hold the new soil together if handled gently.  Of course, being hardy
ornamentals they've already been hardened and a late frost doesn't phase
them.  Naturally, I keep a better watch on the tender stuff which doesn't
go out for keeps until late May.

Kitty