Re: Surry Gardens

Yes, I've purchased from Surry for years; always good quality.  You can get
a good quality hardy to Zone 3 plant from a Zone 8 nursery, but I figure if
it originates in Zone 3, it might be a little tougher.  So if I can get a
plant from Maine or Minnesota, that would be preferrable.
Another Maine source I like is Fieldstone Gardens.  All plants are
field-grown or produced in containers and they only ship plants that are at
least 2 yrs old.  One thing buyers do need to understand about ordering
from extremely northern nurseries is that their season starts a little
later, so you can't always get your plants as early as you might from, say,
North Carolina.

Eastern Plant Specialties has a NJ address, but many of their plants are
grown in the ground at their own farm in Maine.  There is at least one
person on this list who had a bad experience with them, but I have always
had good luck with their plants.

Below are some details for companies with which I've had success, that
carry some Zone 3-4 plants:
Fieldstone Gardens - 620 Quaker Lane, Vassalboro ME 04989, 207-923-3836,
Eastern Plant Specialties - POB 5692, Clark NJ  07066, 732-382-2508,
Munchkin Nursery - 323 Woodside Dr NW, Depauw IN  47115, 812-633-4838,
Plant Pics Perennials, P.O. Box  3224  Duluth, Mn  55803, 218-724-5988,
email: cromso@charter.net (No website - but these are the original owners
of Shady Oaks.  So far only Hostas and Epimediums, but superior quality and
good prices)
Arrowhead Alpines - PO Box 857, Fowlerville, MI  48836,
Bluestone Perennials - 7211 Middle Ridge Road, Madison OH  44057,
800-852-5243, www.bluestoneperennials.com
Homestead Farms - 3701 Hwy EE, Owensville, MO  65066, 888-314-3148,
Seneca Hill Perennials - 3712 Co. Rte 57, Oswego NY  13126, 315-342-5915,

There are others I like in the west like Herenswood, Weiss, and Greer
Gardens, too.

I'm writing an article for a regional daylily newsletter and I have to
list some sources for perennials that are cold hardy in Zones 3 and 4.
I thought of Surry Gardens, and found a positive review written by you.
I have their catalog, but I've never ordered from them. Since they are
in Maine, I thought they might be a good source to include. Do you
still recommend them?
Thanks for your help.
Anybody else want to add your two cents?
Long Island, NY
Zone 7