Re: Searching...NOW Crinums

Yes, Zem, most of them are not going to be hardy in z 7.  However,
(lil' secret), the C. bulbispermum that Tony is offering:

http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Current/Detail/02722.html

came from seed he got from a net friend of mine who grows them with
no protection in Dodge City, Kansas ...she sent me some seed a year
or so ago and they seem to be doing fine (we shall see how they have
fared this awful winter).  Haven't flowered for me yet - takes a few
years.

So, those ought to be hardy for you, too.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
> From: Zemuly@aol.com
>
> Thanks, Marge.  I found that Crinum xherbertii is also called Milk
and Wine.
> I am getting the idea that almost any crinum with red to burgundy
stripes is
> called that. <LOL> I'll keep looking, and I'll call those
suppliers.  Most
> crinums, I have found, are tender in zone 7, but I absolutely love
them.  Got
> some last year from Tony Avent and they bloomed prolifically.  I
think that,
> with proper mulching, a lot of the zone 8 ones will do all right
here.  I
> already have some zone 8 plants that I've had for several years
now.