Re: Hello/now vegetables

In a message dated 03/15/2003 12:22:57 AM Central Standard Time,
mtalt@hort.net writes:

> Try a little marjoram in your lima beans - just a touch - with
> butter, salt and pepper...

Where I grew up everything was boiled forever with hog jowl, ham hock or fat
back then was served with pepper sauce, jalapenos from the garden and/or
homemade hot chow chow.  My belief is that Southern food is served with such
hot stuff because of 1) every body suffers from sinus problems and,
therefore, cannot smell or taste, or 2) the high incidence of alcoholism
results in the same loss. (Now I am speaking of the Mississippi Delta where
both problems are the norm.) I was grown before I knew what some vegetables
really tasted like. <LOL> I still like them with all the condiments, but now
I like them plain, too.