Re: Hello/now vegetables

Auralie - your roasting method sounds yummy...I will try that one.
All this talk about fresh veggies makes me wish I still had a veggie
garden...but, alas, too much shade now to make them happy.  Nothing
in this world like standing out in the garden scarfing sugar peas off
the vine...Lordy!

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :

> From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
> I think it's really surprising, and more than a bit sad, that so
many of you
> good gardeners don't seem to like garden produce.
> As for cooking methods, there are so many good, easy and nutritious
> For starters, firm veggies like asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower,
> sprouts, snow peas, green beans, etc. are delicious just blanched
in boiling
> water for just a few minutes until crisp-tender and dressed with a
bit of
> olive oil and lemon juice and garlic.
> A special treat for us is roasted vegetables, which take a bit more
time to
> cut into bite-sized pieces.  Heat a flat pan containing a small
amount of
> olive oil, Kosher salt and dried marjoram in a 450 degree oven.
Put the
> firmest veggies, like carrots, turnips, rutabagas, or sweet
potatoes in
> first.  Plan your sequence and add each vegetable, stirring to coat
with the
> oil, as it is cut up.  Onions, sweet peppers, mushrooms, snow peas,
> beans, squash all are good roasted.  I usually combine four or five
> ending with the tenderist, like snow peas.  The whole process may
take 20
> minutes to half an hour, but they are soooo good.
> And then there are stir-fries.  Almost any combination of
vegetables with or