RE: St Pat.

David,
You're not shopping in the right places.  There's plenty of fatty briskets
available.  What I miss is the garlic cure. This is a German town and you
can only get ordinary corned beef with a tiny packet of easoning enclosed
but kept away from the meat unless you want it.  We use to have a choice of
regular and garlic-cured, but no more.  Here the stores carry it with
sauerkrat in the same case - yuck!

BTW, it's always been my understanding that corned beef and cabbage is an
American-Irish tradition.  As you mentioned it is one of the cheapest cuts
of meat, which is what Irish immigrants could afford.  If you want
traditional Irish, I can send you a nice recipe for Irish Stew - made with
lamb.

As to Corned Beef - mmmmmmm, I love it.  I leave the fat layer on while it
cooks and trim off before serving.

Kitty