Re: Hello/now vegetables

Melody, I'm not much of a recipe person.  I usually just cook what seems to
go together well, and it comes out tasting good. I do enjoy reading
cookbooks, though, for ideas, and I have a pretty large collection of them.
Well, I started looking for a recipe for Eggplant Parmigiana, thinking that
would be a good starting place for someone who hasn't eaten eggplant. Some
time and about 15 cookbooks later, I finally found one, but unfortunately it
was not very explicit.  What I did determine, however, was that basic
eggplant preparation usually starts with frying or sauteeing slices or cubes
of eggplant in a small amount of olive oil until softened.  Then layer the
eggplant slices in a baking dish with your best tomato sauce and mozzarella
cheese, top with parmesan cheese and bake until bubbly and brown.  There are
all sorts of yummy variations using various meats.  The tomato sauce should
be rich with bell peppers, onions, garlic and red wine.  Olives are
frequently added.  This is a good way to use left-over leg of lamb.
  Of course, just fried eggplant, either dipped in egg and cracker crumbs, or
seasoned flour, ranks right up there with fried okra and fried green
tomatoes, but I can't in good conscience recommend it, since fried foods are
now so politically incorrect.  I do hope you'll try eggplant, however.  It is
really one of the good things, and the fruits are so pretty - either the
purple or the white kinds.     Auralie