Re: was smoke tree/ now tree care

What, Kitty?!  You don't like the smoke on the smoke tree?  I get
annoyed because mine is now in too much shade to produce many blooms
and I find them extraordinarily neat.

Yes, stooling of Cotinus will actually eliminate flowering.  I
understand it is done to get larger foliage, which it will do.  I
should have done this to my plant early on, but did not and now, with
a trunk about 6" in diameter, I fear it is too late and I'd simply
kill it.  Mine branched fine left on its own...actually has an
interesting form in winter IMO.

Keep in mind that this will often shorten the life of a plant - it's
hard on them to be decapitated each year, but it is often done,
particularly in the UK.

I used to have a lovely black pussy willow I stooled every other
year...it finally gave out on me - but Salix can be short-lived
anyway.  I do this to my yellow-twig dogwoods to encourage new stems,
which have the color; the old ones turn gray.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :