Re: smoke tree

> From: Tigerliley2@wmconnect.com
> I think I agree with you......the smoke tree is lovely but I saw a
picture of
>  a serviceberry tree in a catalog from which I am picking out
shrubs and a
> small tree....I want that lovely spring blooming tree!!!!

I am re-reading Pam Harper's "Time Tested Plants" (highly
recommended, esp. for those who garden south of the Mason-Dixon line)
and she says that Serviceberry has a very brief flowering period if
it gets hot quick....and not much form for the rest of the
year....something to keep in mind.   It is a shrub I've been wanting
but have not gotten yet.

IMO, for a prominent position, you want to try for form, foliage and
other attributes as well as bloom...bloom is marvelous, but it is so

What about one of the many Viburnums if you really, really want
spring flowers?  There are scads of them; some highly fragrant.
While the V. plicatum forms get very wide (much wider than tall,
really), not all of them do; some have a more vertical growth habit.
All produce white flowers or creamy white...well, all that I know
about tho' some have pinkish buds.  Many have interesting foliage and
form as well....not all of them, so you have to do some research.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :