From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On
Behalf Of Marge Talt
Sent: Friday, March 21, 2003 6:59 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Hello/now vegetables/MD

> From: Theresa- yahoo <tchessie@yahoo.com>
> I left MD about 7 or 8 years ago.  So now I live in a new place
with
> gridlock- oh yeah?  What I want to know is where are the places
that
> everyone has come from?  There should be whole counties somewhere
that are
> empty because everyone is moving here!
----------

What?  You moved from one parking lot to another.....yikes!  You're
right - there should be scads of places with nobody there, given how
many seem to be moving to the large metropolitan areas.

Even 7-8 years ago, it wasn't as bad as it is now.  You literally
have to plan life around the rush periods...morning rush now goes
from about 5AM to 10AM and evening rush from 3PM to 8PM.

Trying to get anywhere is major frustration.  One fender-bender and
traffic on the beltway is backed up for miles.  When one of the
tractor-trailers turns over (happens all the time), back-ups can last
for most of the day....would hate to get caught in one of those; so
far have not (knock on wood).

I have to drive south to Richmond, VA every other week.  We get back
about rush hour and traffic on interstate 95 South (heading out of
DC) is always at a complete standstill for about 15 miles from the
beltway south - for no reason that is readily apparent...just massive
volume.  I could not make that commute every day; would blow my
brains out.

Anybody familiar with the DC area...ignore the rest of this post:-)

For those lucky souls who do not live around here - the beltway is a
divided highway (6 lanes each side in some places) that encircles
Washington, DC.  The Potomac River separates Virginia from Maryland
and D.C.

There is 1 bridge on the west side of DC and 1 bridge on the east
side, over which the beltway travels.  There are three bridges going
from Virginia directly into DC.  So, basically, all traffic going
between Maryland and VA is using the beltway because you gotta cross
that river and that's the only way....

Interstate 95 is the major highway going up the east coast from
Pennsylvania to Florida...mostly 4 lanes in each direction, with an
additional 2 HOV (High Occupancy Vehicle) lanes for about 20 miles
from DC south.  It intersects with the beltway, joining it going
around the east side of DC to split out again on the north side where
it heads to Baltimore.  When these roads turn into parking lots,
you're talking about a *lot* of vehicles!

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade