Re: smoke tree/coppicing

My friend's lilac has been in the ground for 27 years and not pruned in all
that time. It's on the property line and several trees have grown up around
it. Now it's a spindly 15 feet tall and blooms only at the very top. How
severely can it be cut back? If cut down to less than a foot, is it likely
to croak?