Re: smoke tree/coppicing/lilacs

In a message dated 03/23/2003 6:42:34 PM Eastern Standard Time,
marolsh@ptd.net writes:

> I have been seeing long strings of migrating geese this past week and this
> morning, there was a flock of maybe 200 birds passing overhead. They
> appeared all white except for the wing tips, which were black. I haven't
> seen any groups this large before, or similarly colored, so I suspect they
> were Snow geese. Spring at last!

They were surely Snow Geese - and what  lovely sight they are.  They usually
fly so high you can barely see them and when they start to land the black
wing tips twinkle so that they look like confetti.  200 seems a small flock -
every fall we go to Bombay Hook Wildlife Refuge in Delaware to see them.  The
flock there is said to be 60,000 or more.  There is usually another flock at
the Assateague Wildlife Refuge in Virginia, but only 15 or 20 thousand
strong.  I think a flock of Snow Geese is one of the most exciting things I
have ever seen.  Auralie