From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Aplfgcnys@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, March 23, 2003 6:50 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] Spring might even get here...

  After a week of warmish weather - even got up into the 60s one day - and
two days of rain, heavy at times, our snow is about gone except for patches
and piles.  The pond is still frozen, but this afternoon driving through a
marshy place I heard peepers!
I want very much to get out into the garden, but know it's still not time.
Where the ground is beginning to thaw it is too mushy to walk around.  The
trouble is that tomorrow we go to Saratoga Spgs for the New York State
Club's annual meeting - not back until Thursday.  And the week after that we

will be making our annual pilgrimage to Bombay Hook, Del., and Chincoteague,

Va. to see some birds and real spring.  I'm looking forward to the trip -
could really use some down-time - but know that things will surely need to
done while I'm gone.  Oh well, can't have everything, I guess.
  On the positive side, things are surprisingly green under the snow.  We
a brutally cold winter, but there was a snow cover from about the first of
December until now.  I guess it provided enough insulation to keep the
from suffering from the cold.  A Santolina ericoides (sp? - the green one)
has emerged from under a great pile of snow looking quite green and fresh.
The Hellebores' leaves are flattened, but they are all putting up many bloom

stems.  I found a sunny bank that will be filled with snowdrops in a few
days, and three crocus open in another sunny spot.  They will probably all
bloom while we're gone.  So far, no tulips or daffs are showing, but I do
the tips of Iris reticulata.  I'll be so happy to see spring this year.
been a long winter.  I hope the rest of you are enjoying good weather.
Auralie Z5