From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of James R. Fisher
Sent: Monday, March 24, 2003 6:47 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Island Jim's clivia in FULL bloom link

Donna wrote:
> Well now.... seems that Island Jim's clivia is in full bloom now....
> :)

That's a fairly nice one, though in today's Clivia parlance it might be
closer to a 'peach'. If it were mine, I'd get at it with a camel's hair
brush and pollinate everything in sight. The seed berries get left on
for a long time, months if I recall and are reputed to be fairly easy to
germinate. As apparently the yellow color is via mitochondrial
inheritance (passed through the mother), a 'yellow' x 'another yellow'
will always have 'yellow' offspring, to one degree or another, and
you'll never get a yellow from selfing one of the reds. A yellow by a
red will produce a quantity of things tending toward yellow but only if
the yellow acts as the seed parent (mother). If Theresa has a yellow,
you might with profit exchange pollen between you to see what might turn
up. And a truly good yellow is a pricy thing; to see what I mean, got to
Dalton Durio's Louisiana Nursery and look at the prices he charges for
Clivias: www.durionursery.com -jrf
--
Jim Fisher
Vienna, Virginia USA