From: Kitty
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Sent: 3/25/2003 11:26 AM
Subject: Re: Re: [CHAT] much too much mulch

The fact is, I don't really have much in the way of big trees. There is
a 15 yr old blue spruce, but it's not limbed up, so it sort of creates
it's own mulch. There's a 40 year old Norway Maple, but that's my Hosta
bed under there, don't want to accomodate the slugs. And there's a 12 yr
old Pin Oak that has a living mulch. That's about it for big trees. It's
a small lot.

However, you and Marge have given me aother idea. Last year when I moved
the 3 Canadian Hemlocks to a raised mound on the south fenceline, I felt
they needed an extra warm layer of mulch and laid the straw around them
on their outside. This is held in by a chain link fence on that side
which can't really be seen because of the living screen. I left that
straw in place when I picked up the rest. Maybe I could use some of the
excess straw to mulch the older hemlocks and Thujas that run the rest of
that fenceline. No one can actually see that side; it runs along an
easement. It needs mulch like everthing else, but I don't like spending
$3 a bag for those areas.

I have tomorrow off to do some more cleanup, so I'll see what I can do.
I also have 6 yds of soil coming. This gets dumped on the front annual
bed. I'll cover it with landscape fabric tonight so the Silver Maple
(city tree) roots won't work their way up into the pile b4 I have a
chance to move it to all the areas that need it.

Kitty