From: Donna  [mailto: justme@prairieinet.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 21:30:09 -0600
Subject: RE: [CHAT] id help please

Yipes, what do you mean the mantis are going to eat each other? I
was<br>hoping for a nice crop of mantis to ward off the bad guys
:)<br><br>My mourning dove has been here for the last three years. She
(I think it<br>is a she) lost her mate last year. Earlier this season
she was at the<br>pond with two other doves, but have no idea where they
are hiding out at<br>currently. She is very tame and doesn't panic as I
do my gardening thing<br>around her. In a few months she will leave the
basket, I will replace it<br>with a growing one, then she will return to
it unaware to me till I hit<br>her with that spray of the hose.... we do
this every year.:( --Last year<br>she even let me water the plant,
although she really makes a dent in the<br>plant. We have learned to
live together....:)<br><br>I also get a variety of other birds here
too... all fighting for a place<br>to nest. I have just about given up
on hanging plants, and every tree<br>has a few nests, not to mention all
the oth

er places they seem to find.<br>It amazes me at times....
definitely a praying mantis<br>> case..just leave it be. As soon as it
warms up the little mantis<br>> babies will come out and start eating
each other:-)<br>> <br>> Your bird is a mourning dove...looks like
you'll have a hanging dove<br>> basket this year; not plants:-)<br>>
about<br>> Jan. 1 to tell all of us winter-desk bound types to start
doing push<br>> ups....my old bod has been protesting all week from last
weekend's<br>> pruning and I'm about to pass out from this
weekend's<br>> pruning...Lordy, why did I want all those clipped hedges?
Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland<br>> mtalt@hort.net<br>> Editor: Gardening
in
sign-off th