Re: much too much mulch

Hello Kitty,
    We end up with quite a bit of spoiled straw here each spring. We use
fresh bales each late fall to store all our potted plants for the winter,
some of the nursery stock. I think it is wonderful for starting a raised
bed. We just spread the wet straw at the bottom of the new bed and begin to
cover with other stuff like old potting medium, real dirt, chopped leaves,
whatever will rot. Once straw is covered and kept moist it quickly rots down
to a thin layer in  the bed.
    I believe I saw a message from you responding to Marge about using it as
a mulch... wait until you see the soil under a straw mulch in a couple of
years. Earth worms galore, black crumble surface to the old soil......
    I like working with straw
    Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
Zone 6/5  Southern Indiana