watering practices

Last year was a very dry summer here. I watered more often than in
previous years. I'm planning on making some changes for better

Then along comes the American Gardener with a short article on a study
done in 1999 and 2000. They say watering is best done in the afternoon.
It appears you get increased growth and happier plants. The man who
conducted the study says "...home gardeners should be able to benefit
from switching to afternoon watering, too. That's the best part of
research like this - it helps people."

This kind of help I don't need. The study was on containerized plants
watered 3 TIMES A DAY. Even so, if we could still apply this information
to the home garden, how am I so well "helped" by now being able to water
at 3 in the afternoon? Yes there are water timers (that i can't be sure
I really trust), but who's going to move the sprinkler to the next spot
while I'm at work?

Well, at least I won't feel foolish if I do water on a Saturday
afternoon because I didn't get up early enough to move the sprinkler 3
times so each area can get 2-3 hours of water.