From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Kitty Morrissy
Sent: Saturday, March 29, 2003 9:15 PM
To: Agardenchat
Subject: Re: [CHAT]Babies: Cats

Technically Bartonellosis refers originally to Oroya fever in the Andes
Mtns from a bacterium, Bartonella bacilliformis, carried by sand flies.
"Characterized by a form of red blood cell deficiency (hemolytic anemia)
and fever, the potentially fatal acute form is called Oroya fever or
Carrion's disease. The chronic form is identified by painful skin
lesions." However the Bartonella genus has 11 species, and often simply
the name Bartonellosis covers them all.

Cats can be infected with one (I think it is B. henselae) via flea
When they scratch a human being it is possible to transmit Cat Scratch
Fever.  It can be mild or very troublesome, with similar symptoms as the
chronic form of the above. They can pass it among each other via
scratching or sometimes even licking.

I probably carry the bacterium just as my cat did, but with no symtoms,
no problems.  Most of what can be found about the disease has to do with
a fear for humans catching it and what to do about it.  But Jack (cat)
actually has had symptoms for years and I never realized it. It causes
him to vomit and his gums to be swolen.  He has not vomited once since
starting the medication, but prior to that it was getting more and more
frequent, a few times a week.  Another symptom is diarrhea, which he
doesn't seem to have, but Seamus (another cat) does.  The vet treated
him for Song Bird Fever last year, assuming that to be the problem
becuase of his eating habits, but the diarrhea din't go away. It comes
and goes. He gets tested next week, I'm betting this is the real

Well, probably much more than you wanted to know.