hoping for spring soon

We got a lot of good rain on and off all day yesterday...looking at
maybe some mixed snow/rain later in the week...temps. got up to 56
degrees here...downright balmy! My thoughts have really begun to turn to
the garden bed I want to completely overhaul this year...worked like a
fiend last fall to shape up all the rest of the gardens so I could have
some laxity in ignoring them in order to concentrate on this one bed
this year...one of the 2 largest of all the beds in my yard, I made a
huge mistake with it a few years back...planted about a dozen each of
spearmint and peppermint and now am overrun with the stuff. Great place
for every pollinating insect in the county to visit but doesn't look so
good anymore. The landscaping cloth we put down when we initially did
this bed is making it very easy for this stuff to run all over the
place, crowding everything else out and I want it GONE! Besides the
spearmint, this bed is home to a beautiful cherry tree, a redbud tree,
several peonies, quite a lot of guara, purple coneflower, blue flax,
hosta 'guacamole', and a large collection of spring flowering bulbs such
as snow crocus, tulips, daffodils, hyacinths, etc. It also contains my
bad patch of roses...twenty shrub rose bushes that are destined for the
burn pile this year as I have tried and failed for four years now to get
the black spot problem they are plagued with under control and I'm
finally admitting defeat with this bunch...I have many other roses that
I'm more interested in protecting from a spread of this infection. Went
to see my doctor yesterday for a sore back (the bane of nurses
everywhere, I think!) and told him he had about 2 weeks to fix whatever
is wrong with my back because I have some serious gardening to get
to...he laughed...I don't think he took me seriously...hmmmph! Anyway,
now that I've got a digital camera...I'll be taking some before, during,
and after pictures to let you all in on the progress! Any suggestions,
comments, etc. would be greatly appreciated! Full sun, shade only under
th

e canopy of the small redbud (that's the home of the hosta and it seems
to like it there), front yard facing south to the main street of town
(no hardship to guess that in such a small town it really is Main
Street), borders a public sidewalk, room to expand in 2 directions if I
want towards the house.

Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

--Albert Einstein

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com