Re: hoping for spring soon

Try doing all you can to reduce any additional stress on the tree - fertilize well, assure it gets well watered when mother nature doesn't cooperate, and you might even consider a prophylactic spray of the trunk to assure that no opportunistic insect decides to set up housekeeping there. Your description of the bark damage does not sound good, but at least you can do everything in your power to assist the tree to heal itself. I was successful rehabilitating an ash that almost drowned after being planted in the wrong site a couple years ago (still looks pathetic in form - there was a lot of die back - but has been leafing out healthily each year).
Cathy