Re: Spring, first of two, pomelo

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] Spring, first of two, pomelo
  • From: james singer <jsinger@igc.org>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 05:24:15 -0500

There seems to be two or three ways to spell it.

I've seen some very large ones at the farmers' market fetch up to $3.50 each. Some believe that the pomelo is one of the parents of the grapefruit. Judy's right. The best way to eat them is to peel and remove the membranes that encase the segments. They are quite good, but a bit seedy.

I have heard that they have become an important part of Thai wedding banquets. Don't know if that's true or not. I've also heard that the rind is used as a condiment--chopped and marinated in soy sauce.

Melody, for some reason my star fruit has quit producing. I'm going to give it a jolt of fertilizer and minors [especially] this weekend and see if I can jump-start it.