From: james singer [mailto: jsinger@igc.org]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 05:24:15 -0500
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Spring, first of two, pomelo

There seems to be two or three ways to spell it.<br><br>I've seen some
very large ones at the farmers' market fetch up to $3.50 <br>each. Some
believe that the pomelo is one of the parents of the <br>grapefruit.
Judy's right. The best way to eat them is to peel and <br>remove the
membranes that encase the segments. They are quite good, but <br>a bit
seedy.<br><br>I have heard that they have become an important part of
Thai wedding <br>banquets. Don't know if that's true or not. I've also
heard that the <br>rind is used as a condiment--chopped and marinated in
soy sauce.<br><br>Melody, for some reason my star fruit has quit
producing. I'm going to <br>give it a jolt of fertilizer and minors
[especially] this weekend and <br>see if I can jump-start
wrote:<br><br>> Pomelo (sp?) is an interesting fruit, kind of grapefruit
but less <br>> bitter?<br>> My daughter & I peel all citrus like oranges
to eat, have found the <br>> mebranes<br>> of grapefruit & pomelos are
too bitter to eat, but the pulp is so <br>> segmented<br>> it's worth
it.<br>> ----- Original Message -----<br>> From: "Melody"
<mhobertm@excite.com><br>> To: <gardenchat@hort.net><br>> Sent: Tuesday,
March 02, 2004 10:22 PM<br>> Subject: RE: [CHAT] Spring, first of
grocery store when we<br>>> were looking at two of the sorriest looking
pieces of star fruit you'd<br>>> ever want to see..ugh! They all started
saying..."Remember when that<br>>> friend of yours Jim sent us that
fruit..." Nice memory for <br>>> them...thanks<br>>> so much! Say, ever
hear of something called a pummelo? Picked one up <br>>> at<br>>> the
store..some kind of citrus fruit, I guess...we're looking forward <br>>>
to<br>>> sampling it! Kind of pricey at $1.60 each but they are huge!
and any<br>>> small kind of money is okay if it gets my kids excited
IA (Z 5/4)<

br>>><br>>> "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the
singer < jsinger@igc.org > wrote:<br>>> From: james singer [mailto:
jsinger@igc.org]<br>>> To: gardenchat@hort.net<br>>> Date: Tue, 2 Mar
2004 16:55:03 -0500<br>>> Subject: [CHAT] Spring, first of
two<br>>><br>>> Spring is definitely here. The orange jasmine [so called
because it<br>>> <br>smell somewhat like orange blossoms] is blooming.
All the citrus<br>>> trees <br>are blooming. The Surinam cherries are
lychees and mangos and avocados are<br>>> blooming. <br>And, best of
all, the fruit of the loquat [aka Japanese<br>>> apricot] is
through <br>the evening. Life in Southwest Florida is<br>>>
http://www.excite.com<br>>> The most personalized portal on the
Web!<br>>><br>>>
Support hort.net -- join the hort.net fund drive!<br>>>
http://www.hort.net/funds/<br>><br>>
Florida<br>Zone

    http://www.hort.net/funds/<br><br>

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com